Thursday, March 8, 2018

Review: Death in Glenville Falls by Carol L. Wright

Title: Death in Glenville Falls
Author: Carol L. Wright 
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Cozy Den Press
Publish Date: August 17, 2017
Source: Owned



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Early September is a time for new beginnings in a college town, and Gracie McIntyre braces for hers.

Gracie left the practice of law eighteen years ago, after losing a client to an apparent murder/suicide. Since then, she’s been a stay-at-home mom and part-time professor at the local college. Now that her son has gone off to university and her daughter has started high school, she is ready for a new adventure. But opening a new-and-used book shop gives her more than she bargains for.

Days after her grand opening, she finds a threatening message outside her door. When she refuses to heed the warning, violence escalates. What’s worse, she suspects a police officer might be the culprit. She soon realizes she’s on her own to find a way to save her store—and possibly her life."


My Two Cents:

"Death in Glenville Falls" is the story of Gracie McIntyre, a woman who has my dream job: owning a bookstore. She is content with her life of creating a place for community in her small bookstore with the company of her orange kitty. Unfortunately, quiet is not the idea that fate has for her life. Gracie will get pulled into a mystery where her livelihood and her own life may be at stake.

This book was a first for me: a cozy mystery! I don't read a lot of mystery in general but I had never read a cozy mystery before. Cozy mysteries are like kinder, gentler mysteries: they aren't bloody because any violence happens offstage. I picked up this book for book club and the author is the mother of one of my book club friends. I love when my reading is stretched like this!

Gracie is such a great character. Not only does she make it her business to try to solve the mysterious circumstances that befall her bookstore but she balances it all with still being a good parent and a good friend. She is intelligent and kind. Because she is just an amateur sleuth, she thinks about things in a very different way that helps her solve the mystery at the core of the book (I don't want to go too much into this so I don't give anything away).

I also really liked the setting. Glenville Falls is a small college town. Everyone knows everyone and everyone is in everyone else's business. The town is full of quirky characters that come in and out of the book and made for a more entertaining experience!

This was a great foray into the world of cozy mysteries and I am looking forward to getting back to Glenville Falls soon!
 
 


 

1 comment:

  1. glad you gave cozy mystery a shot and have enjoyed it. I really enjoyed them in the past and still do.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...